The Band Boosters provide support for all aspects of the TJ band program.
All TJ band parents and guardians are members of the Band Boosters. (This includes students who participate in curricular band, marching band, winter drumline, and winter guard.) There is no membership fee to join the Band Boosters. Click here to read the Band Boosters bylaws.
Students have numerous performances and activities throughout the year, so volunteers are essential for us to have a successful program. We also have a number of fundraisers to reduce the cost of trips and to pay for special instruction, leadership training, professional development, financial aid, uniforms, instruments, and other equipment.
In return for your participation you get to be a part of a wonderful music program, watch your children grow in a supportive environment, and share in their joys.
How do we help?
- Attend performances – Our groups are performance ensembles. They need a supportive audience!
- Volunteer time and skills – There are many ways to help. There are no volunteer requirements, but your support helps our students. Support our students in a way that fits your availability and interests
- Support fundraisers – A variety of fundraisers allows a variety of ways to participate.
What are examples of volunteering?
- Chaperone a trip
- Shop for supplies (reimbursed)
- Help measure for uniforms
- Bring food to a concert reception
- Help move band equipment
- Maintain a spreadsheet
- Create a volunteer sign-up
- Drive a Penske truck
- Help with a social activity
- Proofread documents
There are no fundraising requirements for families, but we rely on donations and fundraisers to support TJ Bands. With so many options, you can support fundraisers that match your interests and preferences.
What does fundraising support?
The short answer? Anything for which the FCPS student fees can’t be used.
- Financial aid for extracurricular ensembles
- Equipment, including instruments
- Sectional coaches and guest artists
- Professional development
- Special events
Why get involved?
- Help our band and color guard students
- Get plugged into TJ community
- Get great advice from veteran parents
- Get to know our amazing students
- Be part of a supportive community
- It’s fun!
How do I stay informed?
- Emails from Band Director
- Emails from Band Boosters
- Our website
- TJPTSA newsletters
- Contact Band Booster Board or activity lead
Make sure your email address is correct in Charms.
Band Booster meetings are typically held the third Tuesday of each month. All current band and guard parents are invited and encouraged to attend. Meetings are usually held 6:30-7:30 pm in the Principal’s Conference Room (across from the art gallery). Schedule subject to change. For 2022-2023, meetings will be in person for those comfortable attending, with a virtual option for those who prefer to attend remotely. Meeting links will be emailed to current families via Charms.
2021-2022 TJ Band Boosters Executive Committee
Director of Bands – Steve Ballard
- Co-Presidents – Claire Chua and Geeta Thapa
- VP for Communications (PTSA newsletter, etc.) – Nell Janardhan
- VP for Ways & Means – Dawn Heisey-Grove
- Secretary – Natalie Coburn
- Receipts Treasurers – Tracy Pierson
- Disbursement Treasurer – Chandrika Mavram
- Parent Webmaster: Katharine Hansen