Now under the direction of Steve Ballard.
Learn more about our program in our guide TJ Band Essentials.
Classes offered during the regular school day (for grades) are:
- Symphonic Band
- Symphonic Wind Ensemble (auditioned)
- Symphonic Percussion
- Percussion Ensemble (auditioned)
Extra-Curricular Bands, Ensembles, etc.:
Band activities that take place outside the regular school day:
- Marching Band (aka Thomas Jefferson Marching Colonials, TJMC): At home football games, this group performs at halftime and serves as pep band in the stands. TJMC also performs in local, regional and state marching band competitions.
- Jazz Ensemble: This auditioned group rehearses after school. The group performs at the Viennese Ball, seasonal band concerts, Valentine’s Dance, Chantilly Jazz Fest, Jazz Cabaret and other school events.
- Jazz II: Open to any TJ student, this ensemble meets once a week during 8th period and performs at the end-of-the year Jazz Cabaret
- Winter Drum Line: Indoor percussion unit consisting of a marching battery (snares, tenors, and bass drums), marching cymbals, and a stationary pit (marimbas, vibraphone, synthesizer) that performs a choreographed show at competitions throughout the season.
- Winter Guard: Indoor color guard unit that showcases flag and weapons talent, performing a dynamic show at local, regional, state and national competitions during the season.